As we move out of 2020 and into 2021, the need for investment managers (IMs)1 to get an accurate, comprehensive hold on their portfolios has only accelerated. For firms to be alpha-competitive and fulfill chartered investment mandates, an enterprise view of all assets and portfolios, cash, transactions and positions is now mandatory.
Chartis has conducted a series of in-person interviews with investment management industry practitioners, focusing on the importance of having a comprehensive view of their portfolios – or ‘One Investment Truth’. These interviews, and an accompanying survey, were conducted in Asia-Pacific, Europe and North America.
In this report, the term ‘investment managers’ incorporates asset managers and asset owners/institutional investors. Institutional investors include insurance companies, pension funds, endowments, central banks and sovereign wealth funds.
In this research we focus on six key areas:
- What is One Investment Truth?
- The importance of One Investment Truth for portfolio management excellence.
- The cost of not having a holistic view across investments.
- The best path to securing One Investment Truth.
- Front-office innovation.
- The accelerated importance of digitalization.